The best part of any surgical experience is going home to familiar surroundings. Your surgeon will provide post-operative instructions regarding diet, rest, and medications. Peachtree Orthopaedic Surgery Center at Piedmont will provide you with a written summary of these instructions.
Your discharge time will depend on how your recovery progresses. It is normal to feel a little dizzy and sleepy after undergoing anesthesia. The nursing staff and anesthesiologist will determine when it is time for you to be discharged. Again, for your safety, you must have a responsible adult drive you home following outpatient procedures. We cannot allow you to take public transportation without being accompanied by a responsible adult. You must have a responsible adult stay with you for 24 hours after your surgery.
Report any of these symptoms to your physician:
- Difficulty breathing
- Persistent nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Pain unrelieved by medication
- Fever above 101 degrees F or chills
- Excessive bleeding of swelling
- Foul smelling or unusual discharge
- Change in sensation (hot, cold, numbness), change in color (red, white or blue), or sever persistent pain in the area of the procedure. Note: If you received an extremity block for pain control, numbness can be expected for up to 16 hours after surgery. You should call your physician if numbness persists after this time.
- Unable to urinate for four to six hours
- Eat lightly following the procedure (gelatin, liquids, soups). You may experience some nausea or vomiting. When the nausea subsides, be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
- Resume your normal diet the next day.
- No alcoholic beverages for 24 hours after surgery or while taking pain medications.
- Rest at home 24 hours. Anesthesia can make you feel tired, sleepy, dizzy, or irritable. Someone should assist you when you are up if you are unsteady.
- No lifting. Straining and vigorous activity should be avoided.
- No driving until approved by your physician.
While Taking Pain Medication:
- Do not drive or operate equipment.
- Do not make significant decisions.
- Do no sign important documents.
- Care of dressing bandage(s) will be determined by your surgeon's instruction. As a general rule, your dressing or cast should be kept dry.
- Follow-up care by your surgeon is important for your safety. Call your physician's office for your post-operative follow-up appointment. You are responsible for making these arrangements. Take prescription drugs as directed by your physician.
A responsible adult must be with you at the center the day of your surgery:
- This person must speak ENGLISH and be able to comprehend written ENGLISH as this individual(s) will receive your post-operative instructions from the physician and nurse.
- If you require an interpreter for your family member/personal representative, this needs to be arranged prior to the surgery date.
- Please contact the Surgery Center scheduler at 404-351-3693 Ext. 1142 to coordinate.
You must have someone drive you home after surgery:
- You cannot drive yourself home after surgery. You cannot take a taxi or bus home.
- This person must be at POSC prior to your surgery.
- They must remain with you until you have been cleared for surgery and your ride must remain at the Surgery Center/hospital campus until you are discharged. This will assure that you have a ride home if your surgery is cancelled for any reason.
** On the day of your surgery, you will be asked to provide the surgery center personnel with the name of the individual(s) that will be providing the above care. If you fail to provide this information, your surgery will be cancelled.
Our concern does not end when you leave Peachtree Orthopaedic Surgery Center at Piedmont. We will call you the following business day to make sure you are having a smooth recovery, and we will answer any questions you may have about your visit.
We recommend that you promptly contact your surgeon if you have any concerns regarding your surgery or procedure. Their phone number is 404-355-0743.
If you have a NON-MEDICAL question for the surgery center staff, please call Peachtree Orthopaedic Surgery Center at Piedmont at 404-351-6393.
* Piedmont Hospital Surgical Services will not be able to answer questions pertaining to your medical care or your stay at Peachtree Orthopaedic Surgery Center at Piedmont.